Let Me Walk You Through A Detox
Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Whether you plan on spending quality time with family or friends (Friendsgiving fans over here!), there’s so much to look forward to as the holidays approach us. This, of course, includes food – and lot’s of it! It plays a major role in celebrations all over the world. Food brings people together and is commonly the main theme of an event. Relationships are often made and strengthened over a satisfying meal or snack, and we bond and create pleasant memories with one another sharing a mouthwatering treat. In other words, come Thanksgiving, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be surrounded by lots of delicious food. While you should absolutely enjoy yourself and your company, the days after your Thanksgiving celebration are the perfect time to give your body a reset.
I invite you to join me in my Fitmomma 5 Day Vegan Detox the Monday after Thanksgiving (11/27) to gift yourself with some self-care. I would love for you to complete this 5 day detox with me so we can all have smooth sailing for the rest of the holiday season!
What is a Detox?
Detoxification is the process of removing toxic substances from the body. The amazing thing about our body is that we are constantly detoxifying ourselves. This process is done in many ways, but the organ that is responsible for most of the detoxification process is the liver. It’s your liver’s job to distinguish between the nutrients you need to absorb and the toxins that must be filtered out of your bloodstream. When there is an overload of toxins in your body, the liver goes into overdrive. This means that the number one organ you need to keep your body cleansed and pure isn’t working as efficiently as it can. In return, toxins build up and the body becomes unbalanced.
How Do You know if You Need A Detox?
To know whether or not your body is in need of a detox, you first need to learn the symptoms of toxic build up. These are your body’s way of telling you that it’s time to take action.
Symptoms of toxic buildup
- Excess fatigue that even sleep doesn’t help: If you find yourself struggling to get out of bed, don’t be too hard on yourself. This isn’t a matter of being lazy, rather, it’s a scientific sign that your body is working too hard to rid itself of the toxins that have built up in your system.
- Bloating: As your body works overtime to cleanse and detoxify, it starts to take a toll on your hormones, too. Eventually, your hormones become imbalanced and your body starts to hold onto fluid. An inadequate intake of both soluble fiber and water also contributes, which can contribute to feeling uncomfortably bloated.
- Moodiness/Irritability: Dopamine and serotonin are the hormones that keep you feeling calm and happy. When toxins build up, these hormones drop and can leave you feeling more irritable than normal.
- Insomnia: While some people may experience excess fatigue, restless and sleepless nights are also a sign that your body needs a cleanse. Serotonin (the happy hormone) is the precursor for melatonin, which is the hormone responsible for making you sleepy at night. This neurochemical shift causes your melatonin levels to decrease. If melatonin isn’t there to tell your body it’s time for bed, the result, unfortunately, is a lack of sleep.
- Brain Fog: When your body is unbalanced, the hormone responsible for stress (cortisol) increases. This causes a host of chain reactions, one of them being the inability to concentrate or communicate clearly.
- Constipation: If the body isn’t able to regularly eliminate waste from your body, this means that there is an actual build up of toxic waste in your colon. This is a sign to take immediate action and cleanse your body.
- Unable to Lose Weight: When toxins are accumulated, all of the major systems in your body aren’t functioning properly. This means your metabolism is slowed, and the chemical process of burning fat, especially around the abdominal area, isn’t operating properly.
Of course, these are just a few signs and symptoms that your body is in desperate need of a cleanse. Ultimately, it will be different for everyone. What’s most important to understand is how to listen to and trust your body. It can be difficult to be in tune with your body when you have an overload of toxins. Most of the time, you’ve gone for so long that you don’t even realize the symptoms you’re having aren’t normal.
Benefits of a Detox
Before I did my first detox, I thought the signs I was experiencing were normal, just a part of life. It wasn’t until I finished the detox that I realized WOW! I really needed that! Here are just a few of the benefits you can look forward to for after the detox.
- More Energy
- Mental/Emotional Clarity
- Peaceful Sleep
- Weight Loss
- Regular Digestion
- Stronger Immune System
- Palate Reset
- Decreased Cravings
- Lower Stress Levels (and better ability to cope with stress!)
- Healthier Skin and Hair
- Promotes Healthier Day-to-Day Decisions/Productivity
- Less Bloating and Inflammation in the body
This is just a small list of things you can look forward to after your detox. I would love for you to join me! I have been doing one detox per year for the past 10 years and each year I’ve found that I am more and more amazed with the results.
Join the Fitmomma 5 Day Vegan Detox
This detox includes loads of information that I have learned over the past decade doing these detoxes, and I’m absolutely thrilled to share it all with you. It also includes a complete grocery guide for the 5 days as well as a food list, restricted foods list, meal plan, and so many wonderful recipes! Get ready to eat (that’s right, you’re going to be eating – a lot! No juice cleanse here!) delicious, healthy food to make you feel your best.
I am most looking forward to having a community to do it with this year. There’s something extremely powerful when you surround yourself (even virtually!) with like-minded people, and I think this could be the start of a truly transformative experience. If you want to be a part of a supportive, motivated, and uplifting community, I invite you to join us! So many have already signed up and I would be so happy to have more people to share our experiences with. I will be doing the detox with you and sharing my adventure throughout the week Instagram and our private facebook group. I love seeing all of your detox meals, so starting the Monday after Thanksgiving (November 27th), use the hashtag #FitmommaDetox to connect with me and other challenge members and share your detox experience!