Sweet potatoes are a staple in our house; not only are they delicious they are also power packed with essential vitamins and nutrients. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A. They are also a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. However, eating them so frequently I have to sometimes get creative with how to prepare them. Below are 3 fun ways to prepare sweet potatoes that will get the whole family excited!
1)Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries are always a hit and a great side to most dinners especially vegan burger night.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbs. Nutritional yeast
- 1 tbp. Melted coconut oil
- Salt and Pepper
How to Prepare it:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Wash sweet potatoes, peel and cut into fry shape. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper (for easy clean-up) and bake for 40 minutes – flip after 20 minutes.
2) Sweet Potato Toast
This is my new favorite way to prepare sweet potatoes! Sweet potato toast is a great breakfast option or mid-day snack. The kids love it too and it’s so easy!
- 1 Sweet potato peeled
- Toppings of choice
How to Prepare it:
Slice sweet potato into toast like pieces (about 1/4 inch thick). Add to toaster. Toast for 2 rounds on high. Add topping of choice: vegan butter (earth balance), avocado, salt & pepper, nut butter and cinnamon
3) Mashed Sweet Potatoes
If you are cravings something extra sweet add a side of mashed sweet potatoes to the dinner menu.
- 4-5 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter (earth balance)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain salt, or to taste
How to Prepare:
- Peel and roughly chop sweet potatoes into large chunks.
- Place into a steamer basket and steam for 10-20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 2.5 quart (10 cup) casserole dish and set aside.
- Once cooked and drained, place sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes with fork (hand masher, or immersion blender) the butter and coconut oil until smooth. Now, stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Adjust to taste if desired. Spoon into casserole dish and smooth out
- Bake, uncovered, at 375F for 16 – 23 minutes, until the dish is hot throughout. Serve immediately.
In the comments below let me know your favorite way to prepare sweet potatoes